Announcement from the D-directorate.
Last updated 2020-03-30
Because of the circumstances in the world due to the covid-19 (The coronavirus) outbreak, D-directorate has decided the following:
- All larger and longer events, pubs and seatings within the scope of the chapters operations, are cancelled until further notice.
- We discourage all committees and projects from having physical activities in META, on KTH campus or at other locations. We encourage digital activities however.
- If physical events are performed the Swedish Public Health Agency’s recommendations for public gatherings must be followed.
- No new expenses or purchases without consulting with the board beforehand.
- We encourage everyone that has cold symptoms (respiratory symptoms, cough, fever or similar) to stay at home.
Why have we made this decision?
Updates about the covid-19 outbreak are published continuously and we don’t know what the next step is. We have chosen to act on the information we have received from KTH, THS and the Public Health Agency of Sweden. According to the Public Health Agency, the risk of spreading the virus increases with a large number of participants and long-lasting events, such as pubs and seatings.
The social pressure. When we arrange an event, the fear of missing out affects many members. Someone feels a little bit ill but doesn’t want to miss the seating and decides to attend anyway. That kind of reasoning is something that people make and we don’t want to encourage behaviour of this sort.
The chapter's economic safety. We don't know how the situation will develop. As a consequence, we want to be careful with new expenses since events could be cancelled. This applies especially for bigger expenses for future events.
The decision has been incredibly hard to make and there are plenty of factors that have been considered before making this decision.
We will be reevaluating our decisions on a continuous basis and change the recommendations based on the current state.
If you have any questions don’t be afraid to contact the D-directorate at [email protected].